a Compare the sentences. How do they differ in meaning.
1 a) He continued shouting,
b) He continued to shout.
2 a) He advised me to call the police.
b) He advised calling the police.
c) We were advised to call the police.
3 a) You need to mow the grass.
b) The grass needs mowing.
c) The grass needs to be mowed.
D Fill in the gaps with an appropriate
• Remember that some shops only allow you 1).....
(pay) by credit card if you have additional ID.
• We encourage you 2).. (sign) your new card before
you start 3).. (use) it.
• In the event of your card 4). (be) stolen or lost, we
advise 5)..... (report) the loss as soon as possible.
• The bank needs 6).... (notify) immediately if you
change your address.
• Banks do not permit you 7).. (exceed) your credit